Who I Am
I graduated from the United States Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York with a third mate’s license for any ocean and any gross tonnage, a commission in the Navy, and a B.S. degree in Nautical Science. I served in the U.S. Navy Reserve and decided to attend law school. In 1975, I graduated with honors from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law.
I went to work for Cleveland’s largest maritime law firm. I worked on admiralty cases on the Great Lakes and other locations. I handled cases involving seamen, longshoremen, pilots, passengers, cargo, collisions, allisions, and other marine personal injury and property damage cases. I became a partner in the firm and was transferred to the firm’s Chicago office, where I handled cases involving marine causalities on Lake Michigan and Inland rivers. I am admitted to the Illinois Bar.
I returned to Cleveland in 1987. I purchased property in Ashtabula, Ohio on Lake Erie’s South Shore, where I maintain my office. I handle a variety of maritime and civil cases, and defend Coast Guard Licenses. I represent marine companies, seamen, pilots, marine workers, yacht owners, and passengers. My clients include Lakes Pilots Association, Inc., Western Great Lakes Pilots Association, Inc., and The Merchant Officers Protective Syndicate.
- Federal Bar Association (President, Cleveland Chapter, 1991-1992)
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- International and Shipmaster's Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ashtabula Bar Association
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio in 1975
- Supreme Court of the United States in 1984
- United States District Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit in 1984
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois in 1986 (General and Trial Bars)
- United States District Court for the Eastern of Michigan in 1998
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania in 2000